WordPress lets you change the default image sizes for your site’s thumbnails, medium images, and large images. These default sizes apply to every image you upload to your site unless you select to upload images in full size. This quick tutorial shows how to change WordPress image sizes if the default dimensions don’t suit your site’s theme.
Tip: do you need to edit and upload multiple images to your WordPress site? These useful tools for batch-editing images in Windows may help you.
How to Change the Default WordPress Image Sizes
Changing the default WordPress image sizes lets you upload and publish images that fit your WordPress site content better. Follow the steps below to edit the default image sizes for your site:
- Log in to your WordPress site.
- Hover over “Settings” in the menu on the left, then click “Media.”
- The default image sizes will be on the Media Settings page.
- Use the up and down buttons or change the preferred sizes in each dimension field.
- If you only want to set the max width or height, but not both, set the width field to the value you want, and the height field to “0” (or vice-versa)
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the Media Settings page.
Important note: if you only want to change the dimensions of specific images uploaded to your site, you can crop them individually in “Media -> Library.” This avoids unintentional resizing of other uploaded images after you set new default image sizes.
Good to know: You can make good use of the best sites to get royalty-free images for your WordPress site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add new image sizes in WordPress?
Yes. However, a plugin is required as the feature is not natively available. WordPress recommends Image Regenerate & Select Crop for adding new image sizes.
What is the best size for featured images in WordPress?
While there’s no featured image size that fits all sites, WordPress recommends these dimensions:
- 1920 × 1080: the largest recommended WordPress featured image size. This works best for most themes and social media sites. However, an image of this size may get cropped when shared on social media sites.
- 1200 × 630: works best for classic themes and sharing on Facebook.
- 1024 × 512: recommended size for sharing on Twitter.
Refer to these recommended featured image sizes to find the best size for your WordPress site’s needs. Use these photo editors that use AI to enhance your images before adding your photos to WordPress.
Can I remove the default image sizes in WordPress?
Yes. Log in to WordPress, go to “Settings -> Media,” then change all the image dimension values to 0. Remember to save the changes you made to apply them.
Image credit: Pixabay. All screenshots by Natalie dela Vega.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox